KETV logo


Onawa Man Injured in House Explosion

Officials Say Burglar Tried to Steal Copper Propane Line

POSTED: 9:50 am CDT August 29, 2007

ONAWA, Iowa — Western Iowa officials said an Onawa man suffered burns in a house explosion.

Earl Thelander, 80, was injured Tuesday afternoon in the blast that happened in the basement of a vacant house he owns in rural Onawa.

According to the Monona County Sheriff’s Office, Thelander had just plugged in a fan to help vent fumes from a propane line that had been cut on a furnace during a burglary. Officials said someone broke into the house and took copper waterlines and then tried to take the copper propane line.

After the explosion, Thelander drove to his home. He was taken to a hospital in Onawa, and then to a hospital in Omaha, Neb.

Copyright © 2007 KETV Omaha

< — Back to Earl Thelander Articles

Leave a Reply