Onawa Explosion Victim Dies
September 3, 2007
An Onawa, Iowa, man injured last week in a natural gas explosion in the basement of a vacant home has died. Earl Thelander died Saturday at Clarkson Hospital in Omaha.
Officials say they think the home exploded when Thelander plugged in a fan to help vent fumes from a broken propane line leading to the furnace. Officials say the line had been cut when burglars were stealing copper lines from the home and cut the gas lines before leaving.
Visitation and a funeral will be held later this week.